GC Electronics has been serving the Electrical and Electronics Distribution Industry for over 75 years. Founded during 1930 in Rockford, IL by Stanley B. Valiulis and Richard Ellis, as the “General Cement Manufacturing Company” producing a General Purpose Service Cement, Part Number 30-2 in Stanley’s garage. The 30-2 was used in the repair of Phonograph and Radio Cabinets and to repair torn Speaker Cones. The “General Cement Manufacturing Company” then started producing custom cements, lubricants and cleaners to support the budding Electrical and Electronics industries. AM Radio and Tube technology was at the cutting edge, the Big Bands were on the rise with the first 78 RPM electric phonographic recordings. TV was no where in sight.
The 1940’s brought World War II and the birth of TV. “General Cement Manufacturing Company” found itself selling Chemicals to support the War effort as our country listened to war news radio. After the war, General Cement went back to supplying the Radio, Telephone and Phonograph Repairmen through Electrical and Electronic Distributors. It was the peak of Big Band Era and Radio was still king. 78 RPM records were old news, 33-1/3rd RPM Long Play and 45’s were on the move.
The 1950’s established the “General Cement Manufacturing Company” as a leader in the Electrical and Electronics Distribution Industry, pioneering the rack sales programs for distributors of the day. The General Cement Manufacturing Company continued to grow its chemical lines and started manufacturing TV antennas, added switches and other products used to service the Electrical and Electronics markets, such as Knobs, Hardware, Wire and Tools along with Radio, Telephone, Phonograph and Television repair parts and accessories. As a result “General Cement Manufacturing Company” changed its name in 1959, to better fit the company’s expansion into non-chemical, electronic products, to “GC Electronics”. By this time the 78’s where gone, while B&W TV and 45 Records were the craze.
The 1960’s saw the beginning of the Space Age, Color TV and 33-1/3rd RPM Stereo Long Play Records replace the old B&W TV’s and Mono Record players. Tube technology was quickly being replaced by Transistors. Audiophiles used the latest in Reel to Reel tape recording to master their own play lists. People could travel by Jet and Men walked on the Moon. “GC Electronics” was there adding Transistor testers, Drive Belts and Wheels, Tape Reels, and kits for the hobbyist.
The 1970’s began a new age, eight-track tapes tried to replace Reel to Reel. CB Radio was the rage. Integrated circuits made possible the 1st home video games and Beta Video Recorders on the market. It was indeed “the Age of Aquarius” and GC Electronics carried the latest in Antennas, Microphones, Belts, Telephone, Tape and CB accessories to service the industry.
The 1980’s gave way to cassette tapes replacing the eight-track Reel to Reel. Thanks to the Microprocessor the computer started to infiltrate homes. VHS replaced Beta and Nintendo was born. GC Electronics had all the accessories and repair products to service the MRO Distributors servicing these new technologies.
The 1990’s brought us the 1st CD’s. VHS was threatened by the Laser Disk but held on. Computers were in nearly every household. Cell Phones were starting to catch on. It was internet mania time. GC Electronics added Computer cables and speakers, Data comm. and more cleaners and tools.
Now it’s a new Millennium and in this new Era, DVD has replaced VHS. Digital Cameras have replaced film. MP3s are replacing CD’s and more people have Cell Phones than Land Lines.
Computers no longer have Floppy Drives or big serial and parallel printer cables.
Fiber Optics is making inroads in the home as Smart Homes and Home Theaters take hold.
GC Electronics continues to add to its product lines with DVI, HDMI, USB and IEEE-1394 “FireWire™” cables, Home Theater products, Surge Protectors, Raceway products and more.
GC Electronics continues to bring new products to its Electrical and Electronic Distributors.
For over 75 years, GC Electronics has grown and changed with the times, Migrating its way from Tubes to Transistors to Integrated Circuits to the Microprocessor era. From Early Telephone and Radio to the Internet, GC Electronics has been serving the needs of the Electrical and Electronic Distributors for almost 4 generations and with continued support from the Electrical and Electronic Distributors, GC Electronics will continue to serve future generations to come. To this day, the 1st item ever sold by General Cement, the 30-2 now known as the 10-302, is still a valued GC Electronics part number.